Ten Pledges for Cross Country Coaches
By Rod O’Donnell
1. I will run at least one home meet each fall.
2. I will run a full schedule and not abbreviate meets to save days to train and will score
3. I will constantly defend my sport when absurd perceptions—like cross country runners
are not real athletes—arise.
4. I will call my local newspaper with results after every meet, regardless of where my
team finishes or if the newspaper is not accommodating. I will follow up if they are not
printed with the sports editor.
5. I will do something every day to make my sport well known.
6. I will constantly educate myself by attending professional clinics and brain picking
with other coaches.
7. I will keep updated on my sport by reading at least one article per week about cross
country and track.
8. I will help young coaches by encouraging them and sharing ideas.
9. I will remind athletes to enjoy the journey of the season and provide activities to
promote fun in the sport.
10. At the end of the season I WILL evaluate my program and make adjustments to
improve myself and my team for the next year.
Check out upcoming races on the RUNOHIO/Running Network Searchable Calendar - http://www.runohio.com/index.php/events/runohio-events and the August races listed in the print RUNOHIO - http://www.runohio.com/index.php/events/calendar/august-2011
For over 23 years the print RUNOHIO has been providing you with running coverage in Ohio, West Virginia, northern Kentucky, eastern Indiana, western Pennsylvania and southern Michigan. The RUNOHIO web site - http://www.runohio.com has been working with The Running Network - http://www.runohio.com/national-news for over 16 years in providing you National and local running news.
Go to your favourite running store to get the current issue of RUNOHIO or subscribe to get the print RUNOHIO mailed to you. Take advantage of the 23rd annual RUNOHIO Special Subscription price on only $10 (The same price as the inaugural year of RUNOHIO in 1988). Send your name and address to RUNOHIO, PO Box 238, Granville, OH 43023 or register online - https://www.signmeup.com/4B2VNK7
Check out the Running Network National News on RUNOHIO National News page - http://www.runohio.com/national-news
The Running Network/RUNOHIO Searchable Calendar now makes it easier for you to post and highlight upcoming events throughout the area. Just go to - http://www.runningnetwork.com/RN_calendar/events/index.php?com=submit to list your events free.
The Running Network LLC Partners
American Track & Field - http://www.american-trackandfield.com
Athletes Only - http://www.atf-athlete.com
Athletics (Canada) - http://www.athletics.ca
Austin Runner - http://www.austinrunner.com
California Track & Running News - http://www.caltrack.com
Coaching Athletics Quarterly - http://www.coachingathleticsq.com
Colorado Runner - http://www.coloradorunnermag.com
Get Active! - http://www.healthclubs.com
Greater Long Island Running Club's Footnotes - http://www.glirc.org
Latinos Corriendo - http://www.latinoscorriendo.com
Marathon Guide - http://www.marathonguide.com
Michigan Runner - http://www.michiganrunner.net
Missouri Runner & Triathlete - http://www.morunandtri.com
Racing South -
Road Runners Club of America - http://www.rrca.org
Running Journal - http://www.running.net
RunMinnesota - http://www.runmdra.org
RUNOHIO - http://www.runohio.com
Track & Field News - http://www.trackandfieldnews.com
USATF's Fast Forward - http://www.usatf.org
USATF/New England's Exchange Zone - http://www.usatfne.org/index.shtml
The Winged Foot (NYAC) - http://www.nyac.org
The Winged M (MAC) - http://www.themac.com